REDDING, Calif. - A man accused of stealing a trailer from a family during the Carr Fire was sentenced to five years in prison.
David Fuentes pleaded guilty Wednesday to charges of first-degree burglary, unlawful taking of a vehicle and looting. He also admitted a violation of probation.
Owner of the trailer, Zach Bonnin, said the items inside, including photo albums and scrapbooks, were of no value to anyone except him and his family.
He has a newfound appreciation for the district attorney's office after this experience.
“For the DA to go out and find this and take this effort to go after these people that had taken the items was extraordinary,” Bonnin said. “They have really gone above and beyond. And we really appreciate everything they've done.”
Fuentes allegedly stole the trailer the Bonnin family was residing in after they were evacuated from their home during the Carr Fire.
The trailer was later recovered and the items were found and returned to the family.
The district attorney said this case should also serve as a reminder that they will seek out and prosecute looters to the fullest extent of the law.
- Carr Fire Thief Sentenced
- Carr Fire Traffic Updates
- DONATE: Carr Fire Relief
- Carr Fire Television Special
- Man Sentenced for Stealing Firetruck During Carr Fire
- Carr Fire Stalls Construction Work
- Burned Carr Fire Kitty Recovers
- Replanting After the Carr Fire
- Business Recovery After Carr Fire
- Redding Police arrest "Habitual Thief"