Redding and Shasta County have reached a major milestone.
Carr Fire debris cleanup is virtually complete.
Out of 1,150 properties with homes or structures damaged by the Carr Fire in Shasta County all but a handful have been cleaned up.
“There are less than six parcels left at this time and those are being cleaned up as we speak,” Shasta County Public Works director Pat Minturn said. “Those are the last ones with difficult access, generally burned private bridges where the bridges had to be repaired or we had to get access from another point.”
The job took about four months, and now that it's finished people can finally rebuild.
Folks like Rick Lemler, who owns R&D Construction.
Fifteen homes burned on his street, his being one of them.
But now he's rebuilding and helping his neighbors do the same.
“Right after the evacuations were lifted, my neighbors started contacting me because they knew I was a contractor and I built a few homes on our street,” Lemler said. “And they all asked if I had time if I would put them on my list. And let's rebuild the neighborhood.”
He’s now rebuilding six homes for his neighbors on Tilton Mine Road.
“And so I felt I should do my street first and my neighbors, people that I've lived here 22 years with and help rebuild their houses,” Lemler said.
And helping his neighbors rebuild has kept him busy and kept his mind off of the loss he and many others experienced during the Carr Fire.
“And after I did see that it [house] was gone, I flipped into contractor mode instead of being sad,” Lemler said. “I think that's what's helped me get through it. Now I look at my whole street as a project.”
- Carr Fire Debris Cleanup Virtually Complete
- Phase 1 of Camp Fire Debris Cleanup 86 Percent Complete
- Hazardous Waste Cleanup for Carr Fire is One-Third Complete
- Camp Fire debris removal now complete
- Deadline Approaching for Government-Backed Debris Cleanup
- Debris removal cleanup after Shasta County snowstorm
- Camp Fire Debris Cleanup Largest in State History
- Several species could be impacted by Camp Fire debris cleanup
- Phase 1 of Camp Fire Cleanup 72 Percent Complete
- Carr Fire Traffic Updates