CHICO, Calif. - A driver escaped unharmed after his car caught fire on Highway 99 on Friday.
Just after 3 p.m., Matthew McGregor was driving northbound on Highway 99 between East Avenue and Eaton Road when he heard a loud pop and saw flames starting to come out of the hood of his car.
Firefighters and California State Police responded to the incident, putting out the fire and saving some belongings in his car.
"Driving down the road, flames came out of the hood, but firefighters saved my golf clubs," McGregor said.
The incident closed one lane of traffic northbound, but both lanes reopened just after 3:45 p.m.
- Car Catches Fire on Highway 99
- Highway 99 reopens after big rig crashes, catches fire
- Highway 99 increased collisions
- Highway 99 Reopens After Flooding
- Semi-truck Carrying Wood Chips Catches Fire on Highway 99 in Gridley
- Fatal car crash on Highway 99 leaves one dead
- Three Car Pileup Slows Down Northbound Highway 99
- Highway 99 shutdown due to suicidal man
- Victim Identified in Highway 99 Crash
- Victim Identified in Deadly Highway 99 Crash