CALIFORNIA - CAL FIRE revealed a new mascot for the organization that will be used to educate children about fire safety.
Captain Cal made his first appearance at Sacramento on Monday.
The organization chose a mountain lion to represent biodiversity.
The hope is that the look of the mascot will connect to a broad audience.
A spokesperson from CAL FIRE expressed that the goal of Captain Cal is to connect "mostly with kids to let them know all of the different things that we do here at CAL FIRE."
The state has been working on the project for around five years with Disney animators.
He is planned to visit northern California schools after August.
See how CAL FIRE designed Captain Cal in the video below.
— CAL FIRE (@CAL_FIRE) June 22, 2019
- Captain Cal joins CAL FIRE team to educate kids about fire safety
- Cal Fire
- Cal Fire discusses home fire safety
- CAL FIRE: Fire safety tips for Thanksgiving
- Cal Fire Captain Charged in Sexual Assault Case
- Cal Fire Captain Accused of Sexual Assault Heads to Trial
- Cal Fire Urges Wildfire Preparedness
- CAL FIRE discusses the do's and dont's of fire safety
- Cal Fire shares safety reminders during National Fire Prevention Week
- Cal Fire Working to Detect Lighting Fires