REDDING, Calif - On Sept. 11, a cannabis business took the next step in an appeal to open shop right in front of the Good News Rescue Mission.
“It's like the first thing you’ll see when you look over at the Good News Rescue Mission, like 'oh they have a cannabis club,'" said Ant Sevilla from Empire Recovery Center. "It's a little difficult to process when you know what kind of services they offer there."
The proposed business will take over the old Northern Rehab Center on South Market Street.
However, for some rehab facilities in town, they do not feel the move is appropriate.
"They have a right to open a business, but should it be next to a treatment facility?" Sevilla said.
Empire Recovery Center told Action News Now they experienced a similar situation when they had a facility in the city of Shasta Lake.
Their neighbor was a cannabis dispensary.
Although they didn’t have trouble with their neighbors, Sevilla said he feels there are some places cannabis businesses shouldn’t operate.
"As far as I'm concerned as long as they’re not near schools," Sevilla said. "I don’t know how a church will feel about it but if it's in a business district business center I don’t see why that would be a problem."
He does sympathize with the Good News Rescue Mission’s current battle and hopes his facility doesn’t have to go through it again.
However, he understands laws are changing and he’s ready to adapt.
“I'm just also trying to be realistic because that business is going to start booming and now that it's been approved by our city, They’re going to look for places to open for business,“ Sevilla said.
Action News Now reached out to the Good News Rescue Mission and the proposed cannabis business, but they were not available for comment.
- Cannabis Business to Open Next to the Good News Rescue Mission
- Annual Good News Rescue Mission holiday dinner
- Cannabis Grow Facility to Move in Next Door to the Good News Rescue Mission
- Cannabis Business Opens in Redding
- Good News Rescue Mission hosts its annual Christmas Celebration Banquet
- UPDATED: California Cannabis - Open for Business
- Redding Announces Cannabis Business Approval
- Chico Businesses Attend Cannabis Panel
- Redding Residents Splash For Fun While Helping ‘Good News Rescue Mission’
- Good News Rescue Mission and Taylor Motors host the 18th Annual Stuff the Truck