CONCOW, Calif. -- Camp Fire survivors living outside of Paradise shared their concerns in a listening session Tuesday night. Action News Now reporter Laura Eng spoke with survivors from Concow and Yankee Hill.
"My heart is here, but my mind says, I'm 70 years old, maybe I shouldn't be in this high fire danger area," said Larry Mauch, a Camp Fire survivor.
Mauch lost his Concow home in the Camp Fire.
"Eight months of trying to find a place to live and bouncing around," Mauch said.
Mauch said it's challenging to stay hopeful sometimes he and other survivors will ever return for the long term.
"You go, well, maybe you can rebuild and have something by February of next year, but it's a lot to ask," Mauch said.
Survivors in the Concow and Yankee Hill area came together for a listening session. Mauch said the meeting creates transparency and attention in Concow and Yankee Hill that has long been overdue.
"The problem is we don't have a municipality up here so we're trying to say what we need and how we can get help," Mauch said.
"I'm 82 years old, I want to get back into my house before I die. I don't want to be dying before I get back into my house," said Charles Silveira, a Camp Fire Survivor who has property in Yankee Hill.
He said he's reached out to FEMA and Butte County for help.
"It burned all of our outbuildings, all five of them, and burned the living room in the house," Silveira said.
Silveira said it's been frustrating not having any word yet on when his debris can be cleared. He told us why it's worth the wait though to come back home.
"It's just freedom of the open country. Like I said, it's a beautiful area. Hopefully when it comes back it will come back a nice clean community," Silveira said.
There were will be two more meetings on Wednesday and Saturday for people living in Centerville, Honey Run and Butte Creek Canyon at the Centerville School House. On Wednesday the meeting is from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. and on Saturday the meeting is from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Camp Fire survivors living outside of Paradise share their concerns
- Paradise artist touches lives of Camp Fire survivors
- Camp Fire Survivor shares fireplace photographs
- Camp Fire survivor RV fire
- Camp Fire survivor and burn victim shares story of survival
- Camp Fire survivor shares his story of starting over
- Camp Fire survivors divided on Paradise planning proposals
- Camp Fire survivors talk about the future of Paradise
- Hundreds of Camp Fire survivors graduate in Paradise
- Camp Fire survivor opens new restaurant in Paradise