Photo Gallery 7 Images
BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. - A Camp Fire survivor is searching for housing options after she says the hotel she was staying at is kicking her out after FEMA stopped helping her.
Danna Bruno has been staying at an Oroville motel since November.
Motel management told Bruno Thursday morning that Friday would be her last day. FEMA has been helping Bruno pay for her to stay there after the Camp Fire.
Bruno said she applied for a FEMA trailer in December. However, when she didn't hear back about the trailer, she bought the only mobile unit she could find.
The unit had extensive damage and appeared to be unlivable, so Bruno asked FEMA for an extension. She said she was told by FEMA that she could have an extension to live in the hotel while she fixed up the trailer, however, she just found out this week that they had actually denied her the assistance.
"I had to take a leave from work so I could work on this trailer," she said. "I didn't have my mind set on anything but trying to get this thing done on my own and [with] my boys on the weekend. It's taken a lot longer than I expected. Now, I'm going to be out on the street because they don't want to pay anymore."
Bruno attempted to call the FEMA hotline and they told her that once she bought her own trailer she became ineligible to get one from FEMA, or receive additional assistance.
However, given the circumstances, she received a text from FEMA on Thursday saying that she could stay at the motel for another week.
Editors note: The photos in the gallery are images of what the trailer looks while doing work on it. The photos do not depict what the trailer looked like when she bought it.
- Camp Fire survivor searches for housing options post FEMA assistance
- Camp Fire FEMA Assistance Deadline Approaching
- Camp Fire FEMA Assistance Deadline Extended
- 1,900 Camp Fire survivors still on FEMA housing list
- Camp Fire survivors move into new Oroville FEMA trailers
- FEMA builds homes for Camp Fire survivors on Hegan Lane
- Camp Fire survivors move into Gridley FEMA trailers
- FEMA deadlines for Camp Fire survivors, possible extension
- Camp Fire survivor faces another tragedy, FEMA trailer burned
- Camp Fire survivors at Lake Oroville search for permanent housing