California sues over $1B in canceled high-speed rail money

California has sued to block the administration of President Donald Trump from canceling nearly $1 billion for the state's high-speed rail project.

Posted: May 21, 2019 12:03 PM

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - California has sued to block the administration of President Donald Trump from canceling nearly $1 billion for the state's high-speed rail project.

The lawsuit filed Tuesday comes after the administration revoked the funding last week.

Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom has called the move illegal and says it's political retribution for California's resistance to Trump's immigration policies.

The state also plans to file for a temporary restraining order blocking the administration from awarding the money to another project.

The $929 million comes with the requirement that California complete a 119-mile (192-kilometer) segment of track in the state's Central Valley agricultural heartland and environmental work on the entire line by 2022.

The Federal Railroad Administration says California can't meet that deadline.

The state ultimately hopes to link Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Article Comments

Chico
Clear
50° wxIcon
Hi: 73° Lo: 40°
Feels Like: 50°
Oroville
Clear
52° wxIcon
Hi: 71° Lo: 43°
Feels Like: 52°
Paradise
Clear
50° wxIcon
Hi: 61° Lo: 42°
Feels Like: 50°
Chester
Clear
33° wxIcon
Hi: 49° Lo: 31°
Feels Like: 24°
Red Bluff
Clear
60° wxIcon
Hi: 68° Lo: 45°
Feels Like: 60°
Willows
Clear
50° wxIcon
Hi: 70° Lo: 44°
Feels Like: 50°
The Red Flag Warning continues through Thursday morning, but very pleasant weather is ahead for the remainder of this week. Cooler temperatures and a decent chance for showers return next week.
KHSL Severe
KHSL Radar
KHSL Temperatures

Community Events