LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Latest on California wildfires (all times local):
Members of California's congressional delegation, led by House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, have met with Vice President Mike Pence to discuss the state's massive wildfires.
The House lawmakers say they talked to Pence about efforts to contain the fires and the federal government's work to coordinate the response to their growth.
Rep. Ken Calvert, a member of the House Appropriations Committee, says the federal government will work to help ensure after the wildfires that the affected areas have debris removal and watershed protection.
The meeting also included Reps. Salud Carbajal, Steve Knight, Julia Brownley and Darrell Issa.
Southern California's huge wildfire continues to rip through dry brush atop a coastal ridge as crews struggle to keep flames from roaring down into neighborhoods.
Firefighters protected foothill homes near Santa Barbara, taking advantage of calmer overnight winds that forecasters say could whip up again Tuesday.
Officials express relief that much of the fire's growth is occurring to the north in unoccupied forest land but warn that the seaside towns of Montecito and Carpinteria and Fillmore in Ventura County remain at risk. Tens of thousands remain evacuated.
Poor air quality is keeping many schools closed. As ash rains down and smoke blows through streets, regulators are urging people to remain inside if possible and avoid strenuous activity.
The fire, now the fifth largest in California history, is just 20 percent contained.
- California lawmakers talk fires with Pence
- California lawmakers OK whistleblower protection for staff
- California lawmakers vote on increased dam safeguards
- Former California Lawmaker Sam Aanestad Dies
- California lawmakers increase dam safeguards after dam scare
- California lawmakers considering bills to address school gun violence
- California Lawmakers Advance Measures to curb Opioid Crisis
- California Lawmakers Face Dozens Of Key Bills In Final Month
- California Lawmakers Send Brown Bill Limiting Plastic Straws
- Firefighter working huge California fire dies