Chico, Calif.-- It was a somber event, one that paid tribute to California officers who've lost their lives in the line of duty.
Tuesday evening at the Neighborhood Church in South Chico, law enforcement officers from across Butte County and their families came out to honor those who have made incredible sacrifices. Representatives from Chico Police, the California Highway Patrol, and the Butte County Sheriff's Office, as well as local firefighters, emergency responders, and volunteers were there.
For Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea, a night like this hits especially close to home. His daughter now serves on the Paradise Police Force, and he lost his nephew, a sheriff's deputy in Washington State in January in the line of duty.
Says Honea, “I worry about all the men and women who work for me. That's one of the things that makes sheriffs wake up at 3 o'clock in the morning.”
Six law enforcement officers died in the line of duty in California in 2017, and 19 were killed across the country.
Stay with Action News Now for all of your local coverage. SIGN UP: Get our daily newsletter
- California Peace Officers' Memorial
- Butte County Peace Officer Memorial
- Peace Officers Memorial Ceremony in Chico
- Yuba City Peace Officer Memorial Ceremony
- Tehama County Peace Officers Memorial Tonight at 7pm in Red Bluff
- Peace officers will be honored in Chico ceremony
- New Mural in Chico Promotes Peace
- California Assemblywoman Office Burglarized Before Election Day
- Andrew Brake Memorial Service
- 9/11 Chico Memorial Service