BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. - An ongoing investigation to a storage unit fire has CAL FIRE reminding people to be safe with how they dispose of items.
The owner of the storage unit told Action News Now they suspect the fire might have started from spontaneous combustion, but CAL FIRE has not confirmed the cause of the fire.
CAL FIRE Captain John Gaddie did warn people there are proper ways to dispose of items that might have organic chemicals on them.
This could consist items like rags or paintbrushes, he said if those items get piled together and are in the heat there is a possibility of them heating up and igniting.
Gaddie said if you want to keep those items then dispose of them safely. "Potentially wash that rag off, but you don't want to keep it in a confined area where it can heat up. So keep it outside if you have to keep it in a bucket keep it outside away from anything that can ignite," said Gaddie.
Gaddie also warned safety with other items around the house, such as: lighting candles (especially if you have animals around), making sure to not pile anything around your water heater, if your equipment or appliances are making noises that are not normal to get them checked, and use extension cords only the way they are supposed to be used.
For details about the storage unit fire, CLICK HERE
- Cal Fire discusses home fire safety
- CAL FIRE discusses the do's and dont's of fire safety
- Cal Fire
- CAL FIRE: Fire safety tips for Thanksgiving
- Cal Fire shares safety reminders during National Fire Prevention Week
- Captain Cal joins CAL FIRE team to educate kids about fire safety
- Cal fire knocks out Paradise mobile home fire
- Cal Fire Extinguishes Mobile Home Fire in Palermo
- CAL FIRE responds to Richardson Fire
- Cal Fire Working to Detect Lighting Fires