UPDATE 8:30 a.m. Friday, May 3, 2019 - The Tehama County Sheriff's Office has released new information regarding a body found near Gerber on Thursday.
Authorities said they are now investigating the incident as a deadly crash.
CHP officers said they received reports of a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with a tree on top of it, in the area of E. Chard and Samson Avenues.
Investigators believe the 57-year-old man may have been speeding when he crashed into a wooded area, hitting a tree.
The crash happened sometime Wednesday night, according to authorities.
Action News Now is working to learn the identity of the man killed. Stay tuned for updates.
TEHAMA COUNTY, Calif. - Authorities are investigating a body found near Gerber on Thursday morning.
According to California Highway Patrol, officers received reports of a car with a tree on top of it in the area of E. Chard Avenue and Samson Avenue.
When officers arrived on scene they reported that they did find one person dead. According to the CHP logs, the car engine was cold and the car appeared to have been there for a while.
Authorities are still at the scene investigating.
Stay with Action News Now for the latest updates as they become available.
- CHP investigating deadly crash near Gerber
- CHP investigating deadly crash along Highway 99 in Chico
- CHP identifies 4 involved in 3 car collision on Old Highway 99 in Gerber
- CHP: Deadly crash on Highway 99, two drivers dead
- Gerber man arrested following high-speed chase
- Flames destroy several mobile homes in Gerber
- Authorities investigating deadly crash in Oroville
- CHP looking for vehicle involved in deadly hit and run
- CHP warns drivers after crash in Paradise
- CHP responding to crash in Gridley