Butte County, Calif.-The California Highway Patrol says what started as a carjacking turned into a crash and ultimately an arrest Wednesday afternoon.
The CHP says 29-year-old Evan Lenarcic carjacked a Toyota Sienna near the Department of Behavioral Health on Cohasset Road around 4:45 p.m.
Following the carjacking, Lenarcic headed southbound on Highway 99.
That’s when he crossed the dirt center divider and drove on to oncoming traffic where he hit an Audi head-on.
The driver of the Audi suffered major injuries.
Both vehicles blocked the two northbound lanes which tied up traffic for about 20 minutes.
Uniformed officers from California State Parks and a Parole Officer stopped to help the people involved in the crash.
That’s when the suspect attempted to grab one of the state park officer’s guns.
The CHP says two officers engaged him and pepper sprayed him.
Lenarcic was then taken into custody by a third officer.
The CHP believes this was an intentional act.
The crash remains under investigation.
- CHP Calling Arrest an 'Unusual Incident'
- CHP Assistant Chief charged in July road rage incident
- Oroville CHP Arrests Mother for DUI
- CHP begins maximum enforcement period
- CHP Fourth of July Enforcement
- CHP: Oroville parolee and wife arrested for stealing vehicles
- Oroville CHP: "13 DUI Arrests in 15 Days is Average"
- CHP officer arrested on suspicion of raping 12-year-old girl
- Seattle slips and slides through unusually heavy snowfall
- Oroville CHP delivers toys to kids