CHICO, Calif. -- The Chico Area Recreation and Park District responded to several Facebook postings about a supposed needle exchange event taking place at a park it oversees.
Action News Now is still trying to confirm who might be organizing this supposed needle exchange event.
The Chico Area Recreation and Park District, also known as CARD, oversees Community Park.
In a Facebook post, CARD said no needle exchange event has been authorized.
Several separate Facebook posts say the needle exchange is happening on Sunday at 9 a.m.
We spoke with people in Community Park about this.
"There's too many kids in the park and when drug addicts get their drugs and their needles they use them immediately. They're not going to wait to use them somewhere else so they're going to use their needles here and they're not going to be careful with them and there's kids running around here with bare feet," said Rachel Ditmanson, a woman who uses Community Park.
"Anywhere is unacceptable for the most part. Just around here it makes it tough because the kids play here and to find a spot to play baseball the kids don't need to see that, it's influence. They have to make a decision whether they want to see it or it's acceptable, no I don't think so," said Patrick Luna, a man who uses Community Park.
Action News Now reached out to several Facebook users who posted about the event, but no one would say who is hosting the supposed event.
CARD said they could not confirm there is a group providing exchange services in the parks. CARD will continue to investigate and will have staff at the park on Sunday to monitor the situation.
- 'CARD' says supposed needle exchange event has not been authorized
- Sacramento authorities bust credit card skimming ring
- West Africa Cultural Exchange at Chico State
- Exchange club hosts annual firefighter, EMT awards
- Doctors Find Needle in Woman's Spine After 14 Year
- Australia Strawberries Contaminated With Needles Prompt Reward for Information
- Proposal to look at syringe exchange program for Chico
- Chico CARD Center hosts annual Spring Jamboree
- CARD Movies in the Park Start Saturday
- New Medicare Cards Could Bring New Scams