BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. - Memorial Day can be safer for your family if you use a checklist like this one, provided by CAL FIRE's Butte Unit.
- Obtain necessary permits for campfires
- Clear a 10-foot area around any campfire down to bare soil
- Have a responsible adult in attendance at all times
- Ensure all campfires are completely extinguished before leaving
- When barbecuing, never leave the grill unattended
IN THE WATER
- Wear a life jacket!
- Children should always be supervised by a responsible adult
- Never swim alone
- Drinking alcohol and swimming is just as dangerous as drinking alcohol and driving
AROUND THE HOUSE
- If using power equipment, make sure spark arresters are in good working condition and complete your work prior to 10:00 a.m. because "One Less Spark - One Less Wildfire."
- Ensure your vehicle is properly maintained and running smoothly
- When towing, properly secure trailer chains
- Never drive in or pull over into dry grass
For more fire safety tips during the Memorial Day Weekend visit the ReadyForWildfire.org website.