Action News Now met with CAL FIRE to learn some important fire safety tips for Thanksgiving.
CAL FIRE Batallion Chief, Shem Hawkins, said on Thanksgiving, he tends to see an uptick in kitchen fires.
Hawkins says Thanksgiving is when CAL FIRE sees the most turkey fryings.
CAL FIRE Batallion Chief, Shem Hawkins, says to do any frying away from burning materials.
Hawkins says Thanksgiving is always a very busy time for firefighters, especially due to medical reasons.
"Many times we'll see a lot of medical emergencies due to people having stress. We'll see a lot of heart attacks and the EMS will be a little more taxed due to the large number," said Hawkins.
CAL FIRE maintains the usual number of staffing, so it's extremely important to keep these safety tips in mind.
And if you're sticking to baking your turkey, don't go to far away from your oven. 33% of fires start from unattended stoves on Thanksgiving.
- CAL FIRE: Fire safety tips for Thanksgiving
- Cal Fire
- Cal Fire discusses home fire safety
- Cal Fire Provides Tips About Lawn Mowing During Fire Season
- CAL FIRE discusses the do's and dont's of fire safety
- Cal Fire shares safety reminders during National Fire Prevention Week
- Camp Fire: Thanksgiving Together
- Halloween Safety Tips
- Summer hiking safety tips
- Captain Cal joins CAL FIRE team to educate kids about fire safety