Action News Now met with CAL FIRE to learn some important fire safety tips for Thanksgiving.
CAL FIRE Batallion Chief, Shem Hawkins, said on Thanksgiving, he tends to see an uptick in kitchen fires.
Hawkins says Thanksgiving is when CAL FIRE sees the most turkey fryings.
CAL FIRE Batallion Chief, Shem Hawkins, says to do any frying away from burning materials.
Hawkins says Thanksgiving is always a very busy time for firefighters, especially due to medical reasons.
"Many times we'll see a lot of medical emergencies due to people having stress. We'll see a lot of heart attacks and the EMS will be a little more taxed due to the large number," said Hawkins.
CAL FIRE maintains the usual number of staffing, so it's extremely important to keep these safety tips in mind.
And if you're sticking to baking your turkey, don't go to far away from your oven. 33% of fires start from unattended stoves on Thanksgiving.
- CAL FIRE: Fire safety tips for Thanksgiving
- Cal Fire
- Cal Fire Provides Tips About Lawn Mowing During Fire Season
- Halloween Safety Tips
- Camp Fire: Thanksgiving Together
- Cal Fire Urges Wildfire Preparedness
- CAL FIRE responds to Richardson Fire
- Cal Fire Working to Detect Lighting Fires
- Cal Fire: 1-Acre Fire at Stirling City
- Cal Fire Extinguishes Magalia Structure Fire