CHICO, Calif. - Mental health support is coming for firefighters and first responders.
Governor Newsom signed a package of bills on Tuesday. Those offer additional mental health support to firefighters, such as peer support groups. The second law would make post-traumatic stress an injury eligible for worker's comp for both police and firefighters.
A 2017 study found more firefighters and police nationwide died by suicide than in the line of duty. Cal Fire reps say they know of at least two firefighter suicides in Butte County.
- CA Governor signs firefighter and peace officer mental health bills
- California Peace Officers' Memorial
- Butte County Peace Officer Memorial
- Governor Jerry Brown signs dam safety bill
- California governor signs bills limiting vaccine exemptions
- Gavin Newsom files paperwork for CA Governor run
- CA school shooting plot foiled
- CA Department of Public Health approves needle program for Chico
- Peace Officers Memorial Ceremony in Chico
- Yuba City Peace Officer Memorial Ceremony