GRIDLEY, Calif. - A senior from Las Plumas High School took first place in the 2020 Butte County Office of Education Poetry Out Loud competition on Wednesday in Gridley. Madison McCallough, the first-place winner, will represent Butte County in the state finals Marth 15 and 16, in Sacramento.
Cherie Krantz of Las Plumas High School received second place and Marcie Wright of Oroville High School received third place at the event.
The Poetry Out Loud county competition was held at The Paint Locker Fine Art Gallery in Gridley.
The event was hosted by Butte County Office of Education in partnership with Friends of the Arts.
Representatives from several high schools competed in this year’s Butte County Poetry Out Loud Competition including Oroville High School, Las Plumas High School, Paradise High School and Gridley High School.
The competition was judged by David Tamori, Maria Navarro, Jennifer Spangler and Sue Hilderbrand.
Refreshments were provided by Kaleidoscope Gridley Arts Council, and a musical performance by local guitarist Jimi Beeler was featured.
McCallough won the county competition with her recitation of "To have without holding," by poet Marge Piercy, and "Holy Sonnets: Death, be not proud," by John Donne.
“Madison recited the poems in a way that made the judges feel the emotion of the words," said organizer Mary Ellen Garrahy. Below are a few lines McCallough read from "To have without holding" by Marge Piercy"
"It hurts to love wide open
stretching the muscles that feel
as if they are made of wet plaster,
then of blunt knives, then
of sharp knives."
"She truly moved the audience. We are proud she will be representing Butte County at California State Finals,” said Garrahy, who is the Student Events Manager at the Butte County Office of Education.
A list of all of the Butte County finalists and their high schools can be found by CLICKING HERE.
- Butte County's Poetry Out Loud champion is from Las Plumas High
- Las Plumas High Students to Compete in State Academic Decathalon
- Las Plumas & Oroville High band students win big
- Plumas County man still missing
- Dead body identified in Plumas County
- Small Plane Crash in Plumas County
- Deadly bat disease detected in Plumas County
- Plumas County Deputies searching for wanted man out of Butte County
- North Sate Symphony gets a loud surprise
- Reuniting Pets After the Loud Holiday