OROVILLE, Calif. - A construction mishap has shut down services at the Butte County Clerk-Recorder's office Wednesday.
A construction crew, working on the new Cal Fire headquarters across the street, accidentally knocked out a critical fiber optic cable. Internet and network services to the clerk recorder's office went down on Tuesday and the problem is still not fixed.
"We were trying to see if we could get it fixed quicker, but we need parts and a contractor and all that lined up," says Callie Lutz, media spokesperson for the county.
We were interrupted several times during our conversation by folks who were surprised by the office closure, and in most cases, not happy.
“It is discouraging and we came all the way from Paradise,” says Jo Malone.
One man, Mike Combs, drove all the way from Saratoga in the Bay Area.
“We drove over four hours to get here today to file paperwork. To get here and find out [the office] was closed was a shock.”
The county says they are aware of the inconvenience the delay is causing residents. We are told to expect that services will be back and running tomorrow afternoon.