BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. - Butte County Supervisor Larry Wahl will face candidate Debra Lucero for the District 2 Supervisorial Race in the primary this Tuesday.
District 2 includes much of the west side of Highway 99 in Chico, including downtown and a large portion of the unincorporated areas north of Chico.
Wahl is a Vietnam veteran.
He has been on the board of supervisors for eight years and has also served on the Chico City Council and the city planning commission.
This is Lucero’s first run at elective office, Lucero was a journalist for eight years.
She runs two arts agencies in Chico and Redding.
She also runs two public access television stations in Shasta and Butte counties.
Action News Now asked the candidates what their stance is on homelessness.
“I believe the county should be front and center on the homeless issue. They have a half a billion dollar budget and about 51 percent of that budget goes to behavioural health, public assistance and the department of employment services. All things that I believe could assist us in creating an innovative approach” Lucero said.
"The city and the county are working together you know, we've begun a real extensive program of collaboration together working with the mobile crisis unit, putting people out in the field on a day-to-day basis, helping with the police and getting homeless people that need mental health care to the right place" Wahl said.
To win the supervisor's race it takes a majority of the votes, 50 percent plus one, if there is not a majority, the two candidates will have a runoff in November.
- Butte County Candidates Face Off For Supervisor District 2 Spot
- Three Candidates Seek the 3rd Supervisor District Seat
- Butte County Supervisors Approve Fiscal Budget
- Congressional District Candidates
- Butte Co. Supervisors Discuss Fire Prevention Options
- Butte County Board of Supervisors Support Mechoopda Casino
- Butte County Board of Supervisors Declares Shelter Crisis
- Butte County Board of Supervisors to Vote on Pay Raise
- Butte County Board of Supervisors & Paradise, tree removal program
- Butte County District Attorney Issues Scam Warning