OROVILLE, Calif. - Butte College held a grand opening Wednesday for a $23 million dollar welding and manufacturing facility.
The construction project utilized 96 percent local subcontractors. This project was funded through Measure J, a $190 million bond measure voters approved in November 2016. The facility houses a permanent welding and manufacturing center, increasing the welding and manufacturing program to meet industry demands.
“This new welding and manufacturing facility doubles the size of our welding training facility and provides students with state-of-the-art facilities,” said Samia Yaqub, Butte College President. “This building is one-of-a-kind and houses the latest technology upgrades. We’re very grateful for local voters who approved the bond measure to allow us to expand our career and technical programs.”
The college’s welding program is recognized nationally as a premier technical education program. The new facility offers four classrooms, two dedicated welding labs with 92 welding stations, a dedicated state-of-the-art manufacturing lab, rod storage, tank storage, and a large outdoor laboratory.
The building is 59,525 square feet and is constructed on the main campus just southwest of the Facilities Planning and Management building. In addition, the facility includes a rooftop solar system.
Butte College faculty say demand for local skilled labor is greater than ever, as the Camp Fire increased demand for housing. The school introduced new certificate programs in Construction and HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning) earlier this year.
- Butte College addresses local labor shortage with $23M new facility
- Butte College Welding Program
- Chico Mayor opposes Butte County housing shortage bill, Assemblyman responds
- UPDATE: Missing Butte College student FOUND
- Butte College Grants Help pay for Textbooks
- Butte College Establishes Cosmetology Center in Chico
- Butte College Zero Textbook Cost Program
- Butte College Hosts Business Rebuilding Classes
- Butte College Firefighter Academy remember 9/11
- Butte College Police investigating sexual assault case