OROVILLE, Calif. - The Butte County Sheriff's Office arrested a man in connection to an identity theft case of an 80-year-old victim in Oroville.
During the investigation, deputies learned that there were checks stolen from the victim's mailbox that were being used to create fictitious checks with the victim's account information. The checks were then cashed at an online bank.
Deputies identified one of the suspects as James Dye and a warrant was issued for his arrest.
On April 5, deputies were able to locate Dye driving near a Walmart in Oroville. He was arrested for his outstanding warrant.
However, during a search of his vehicle, deputies found more than 40 other potential victims of identity theft including a torn fake check of the original 80-year-old victim's.
Authorities also found numerous printed fake checks, hundreds of blank check pages, copies of checks, bank cards, tax documents, and other personal identifying information belonging to local businesses and businesses from Sacramento, Nevada and Texas.
They also found a laptop computer, printer and scanner, all believed to have been used to help the suspect steal the identity of the victims.
Additionally, Dye had mortgage payout checks from Camp Fire victims that he was using the information from to create other fraudulent checks.
Ultimately, Dye was arrested on charges of identity theft of more than 10 victims, making fictitious checks, forgery, being in possession of stolen property, and being in possession of burglary tools. He remains in Butte County Jail with a bail of $531,000.
Deputies also identified a second suspect in the investigation as Ashley Buck, 28, of Biggs. She is currently wanted for questioning.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Butte County Sheriff's Office at (530) 538-7321.
- Man arrested on identity theft charges, more than 40 potential victims
- Roseville identity theft manhunt
- Sacramento woman facing elder abuse, identity theft charges
- SHERIFF: 6 arrested in connection to identity theft, over 50 victims
- Red Bluff Woman Arrested for Forgery and Identity Theft
- Anderson Police: Identity Thief Facing Federal Charges
- Chico Police Arrest Man for Auto-Theft
- Chico Man Arrested for Theft and Drugs
- Gridley man arrested for vehicle thefts
- Announcing the Redding Identity Project