BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. - The Butte County District Attorney released new details on a deadly officer-involved shooting in Palermo last year.
A press conference was held about the incident on Monday, Feb. 11, 2019. Butte County District Attorney Mike Ramsey said that the officers involved face no criminal liability and used reasonable force.
The incident occurred in April of 2018 when Myra Micalizio pulled into the driveway of a home where she did not know the residents. Residents say she threatened to shoot them, although it was determined later that she did not have a weapon.
When officers arrived on the scene, Micalizio refused to listen to their commands to put her hands in the air. She got in her car and backed up toward officers, who then shot and killed her.
The official cause of death was by five gunshot wounds.
An official toxicology report showed that Micalizio had marijuana in her system from 6-20 hours before the incident. There were no other substances found in the report.
Micalizio's family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the Butte County Sheriff's Office, in hopes that the office would reevaluate its protocol and training in regards to a mental health crisis.
After a thorough investigation, Ramsey said that the officers involved face no criminal liability and that they used reasonable force as they felt threated for their own lives.
To view the full report by the District Attorney CLICK HERE.
Below is a clip from the press conference where Ramsey explains the results of the investigation. Other youtube videos were provided by the District Attorney's Office's report.
9-1-1 calls and radio traffic:
Drone video of the scene:
Animated reenactment (part 1):
Animated reenactment (part 2):
- Butte Co. District Attorney Says Officers Involved in Fatal 2018 Shooting Face no Criminal Liability
- Butte County District Attorney Says Fatal Officer-Involved Shootout Was Justified
- District Attorney outlines killer's troubled, criminal past
- Butte County District Attorney Issues Scam Warning
- 1 Dead in Butte County Officer-Involved Shooting
- Butte County's Most Wanted criminals
- Butte County's Most Wanted Criminals
- San Francisco Fatal Officer Involved Shooting Bodycam Footage
- Officer Involved Shooting in Marysville
- Butte County District Attorney Holds Press Conference on Fraud Prevention