CHICO, Calif. - Chico police arrested a man they said stole a car and crashed it near Pleasant Valley High after multiple pursuits with authorities.
On Wednesday, April 24, the Chico Police Department received a report from a female about a suspicious person following her on W. 5th Street around 12:15 a.m.
The department said it received similar reports in the area earlier that evening. Police described the suspect as a white, adult male with shaggy, brown hair.
The reporting party from earlier in the night told officers that the suspect entered an upstairs apartment and then left in a white, Toyota Corolla. An officer responding to that area after the report saw a white, Toyota Corolla leave the area westbound toward Chico River Road.
Around 2:22 a.m., officers saw a white, Toyota Corolla speeding east on East Avenue near PV High School at around 100 miles per hour.
The vehicle turned on Wildwood Avenue and collided with a gate at the entrance to the horse arena.
The driver fled on foot but was caught by an officer.
The suspect was identified as Joel Bigginton, 21, of Chico, and officers identified him also as the suspect that entered the apartment on W. 5th Street and stole a Toyota Corolla.
While driving the stolen vehicle, Bigginton was involved in multiple vehicle pursuits with Glenn County sheriff's deputies, CHP officers and Butte County sheriff's deputies.
Bigginton was arrested on charges of burglary, theft of a motor vehicle, unlawful evading in a motor vehicle, and driving a motor vehicle while under the influence.
- Chico police: Burglary suspect arrested after stealing car, crashing near PV High
- Chico High Burglary Suspect Arrested
- Chico Police arrest suspect in CVS burglary
- Marysville Police Arrest Burglary Suspect
- Chico police chase, arrest suspected car burglar
- Chico Police: Suspect steals shoes, fights employees
- Vehicle Burglary Suspects Flee Police in High-Speed Car Chase
- Chico police catch burglary suspect from January
- Police Arrest 2 Burglary Suspects at Home in Chico
- Police arrest suspect linked to burglary in south Chico