UPDATE 10:36 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 10, 2019 - All lanes are now open on I-5 at the Fawndale Road Exit in Redding.
The big-rig has been removed, according to Caltrans.
UPDATE 9:15 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 10, 2019 - California Highway Patrol has identified the driver of the big-rig as Joshua Johnson, 30, of Shasta Lake City.
He was driving his trailer from Weed to Fresno when he fell asleep and drove off of the road. He said he jerked the wheel back and overcorrected, and then the big rig turned over.
The crash is still under investigation.
UPDATE 8:24 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 10, 2019- The California Highway Patrol says the crash involves a big rig towing two trailers.
At the scene, the big rig driver told officers that he fell asleep behind the wheel, but that has not been confirmed by CHP as the official cause of the incident.
The big rig was seen carrying mostly tires.
CHP estimates it's going to be another two hours until the southbound lanes completely open near the Fawndale Road exit.
As of 8:24 a.m. one lane is open and the other two lanes remain blocked.
UPDATE: 7 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 10, 2019 - Caltrans says the number one lane of I-5 has reopened. The number two and number three lanes remain blocked.
REDDING, Calif. - Caltrans says both lanes of southbound I-5 are blocked at the Fawndale exit in Redding due to a big rig crash.
The California Highway Patrol says the crash happened at around 3:54 a.m. Thursday. Traffic is being diverted down Fawndale Road.
Caltrans District 2 says all lanes of southbound I-5 are blocked by the crash. Drivers are told to expect delays in the area. There is no estimated time the road is expected to reopen at this time.
Action News Now has a reporter on the way to the scene. This is a developing story, check back for more details.
- All Lanes Reopened on I-5 After Big-Rig Crash
- I-5 reopened after big rig crash in Tehama County
- Big rig crash causes closure of I-5
- Southbound Lanes of I-5 Reopened After Flooding
- Traffic Alert: NB I-5 Slowed due to Overturned Big Rig
- Big Rig Back-up Continues with I-5 Closure
- Southbound lanes of I-5 reopen at South Avenue after flooding
- Southbound Bonneyview Exit Reopened After Big Rig Fire
- Hwy 99 Onramp at East Ave. Reopens After Chico Big Rig Crash
- Truck Drivers Respond to I-5 Reopening