GRIDLEY, Calif. - The California Highway Patrol is investigating a two-vehicle crash, one involving a big rig, that shut down a portion of Highway 99 between East Hamilton Road and Fran Phil Drive Tuesday morning.
According to CHP Sergeant Larry Starkey, a Nissan and a UPS truck collided after the Nissan drifted into the northbound lane of Highway 99 and the UPS truck braked but still hit the car head-on, carrying the car backward several hundred feet.
And eventually off into a small ditch along the road.
The Nissan driver was taken to a nearby hospital with major injuries, while the truck driver was unharmed.
CHP is still investigating whether or not drugs or alcohol were a factor in the crash.
As of 7:19 a.m., the portion of the highway was reopened.
This is a developing story check back for updates.
TRAFFIC ALERT ��: Highway 99 is closed just north of Fran Phil Drive, on the way towards Gridley. Will be closed for several hours. pic.twitter.com/N6CPyoXAHn
— Jafet Serrato (@newsfromjafet) November 20, 2018
— Hayley Watts (@hayleywatts1224) November 20, 2018
- Big Rig Crash Closes Portion of Hwy 99 north of Gridley
- Hwy 99 Crash Spike
- Hwy 99 Onramp at East Ave. Reopens After Chico Big Rig Crash
- Big Rig Crash Causing Traffic Delays on Highway 99
- Highway 99 reopens after big rig crashes, catches fire
- Big-rig crash closes northbound lanes on Highway 99 in Chico
- HWY 99 NOW OPEN: Fatal head on crash near Biggs blocking both lanes of Hwy 99
- UPDATE: Crash injured two in Gridley, Highway 99 re-opened
- One dead after head-on crash at northbound Hwy 99
- Yuba City Woman Dies From Fatal Crash on Hwy 99