CHICO, Calif. - The Bidwell Mansion will be having a series of summer programs for the month of July for children of all ages, according to an email sent by the agency Wednesday.
The state park says the programs will be given on Saturdays and Mondays from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m., with no reservation required.
Visitors are encouraged to arrive at the Bidwell Mansion Visitor Center at 10:45 a.m. to be included in the programs.
The programs are:
July 2, 7 and 9 – Gold panning with Mountain Mike!
Our very own “Mountain Mike” will lead children as they learn about the dream versus the reality of the California Gold Rush and what routes gold seekers took to reach California. Children will pan for real gold just like the prospectors of old!
July 14 and 16 – Predator vs Prey – Pyramid of Nature
Explore the riparian area near Bidwell Mansion and then, using a ‘Jenga-style’ pyramid game, discover how plants and animals each have an important role in their ecosystem and what would happen if populations suddenly changed.
July 21 and 23 – A Bidwell Binocular 360° Quest
Children will observe close up the natural and the various manufactured resources around the mansion and see the differences between these environments. Using binoculars, children will be able to make connections between past and present resources.
July 28 and 30 – What do owls eat?
Owl pellet dissection is an easy, hands-on way to learn about the eating habits of birds of prey. Finding and piecing together the bones inside owl pellets is fascinating work and children will find clues about the diet of an Owl.
For more information, please call (530) 895-6144.
- Bidwell Mansion offers Summer Program for Kids
- Bidwell Mansion Tours Available on Fridays
- State Parks cleans up Big Chico Creek along Bidwell Mansion
- Bidwell Bark Tomorrow in Chico
- Changes for Bidwell Park Barbecuers
- Spike in Bidwell Yellowjacket Stings
- Bidwell Bark filled the park
- Transient Squatter Arrested at Millers Mansion
- Spring offers up more Summer-like weather
- Anthropology Museum Offers Unique Summer Camps