Chico, CA -- A woman suspected of being under the influence of drugs refused to let two sets of spike strips, two flat tires, California Highway Patrol and Chico Police officers stop her wild early morning ride with a friend through Chico. Finally, it was a low-speed collision with a Butte County Sheriff's deputy that brought her caper to an end.
According to the Butte County Sheriff's Office, Victoria Shepherd, 35, of Chico, in an Acura, led the CHP on a chase from Oroville to Chico around 1:50am Tuesday. Spike strips were placed on Highway 99 just south of town, disabling one of her tires. Still, the determined woman exited off Highway 99, and turned off onto Notre Dam Boulevard, where she was pursued to the Neighborhood Church, crashing into a power pole and fence, starting a small grass fire on the shoulder of the highway.
But her escapade was just beginning.
Driving on one flat tire, investigators say Shepherd went downtown where officers stopped the pursuit in the interest of public safety. Once she left downtown Chico, they began chasing her again. Chico Police set out a second set of spike strips, flattening a second tire on the Acura, but Shepherd was not deterred.
She continued driving down the wrong way on the Esplanade and East Avenue, now with two flat tires, finally ended up in a parking lot on Pillsbury, where she collided at a low speed with a Butte County Sheriff's deputy. That deputy was not injured. Investigators say Shepherd's passenger was questioned and released.
Shepherd was taken into custody and now faces several felonies, including evading a peace officer against traffic, evading a peace officer with wanton disregard for persons and property, and vandalism.
Investigators say the license plate of the Acura did not belong to the car, and that situation is under investigation.
- BCSO: Spike Strips Don't Stop Drugged-Out Woman's Race Through Chico
- BCSO: Lake Tahoe Man Arrested for Drugs
- BCSO K-9 for Veterans Program
- BCSO: Marijuana Grow Site Linked to Drug Trafficking Organization
- BCSO: Suspicious death investigation in Oroville
- BCSO cancel pursuit with wanted felon
- BCSO: Deputy-involved Shooting, Suspect Killed
- BCSO to offer CCW license applications online
- BCSO Launches New Online Tool, "Citizen Rims"
- BCSO: Possible stabbing near Elk Ave