CORNING, Calif. – The Tehama County Sheriff’s Deputies and Corning Police Officers responded to an attempted armed robbery at Rolling Hills Casino around 9:45 a.m. on August 9.
The suspect, later identified as Christopher Hernandez, 49, of Anderson, left the Casino prior to the arrival of law enforcement officers in a Tan, 2000 GMC pickup truck. He was later located by Corning Police Officers at a traffic stop on Interstate 5, near Corning Road, where he failed to yield to officers who initiated a pursuit after the vehicle on Interstate 5 toward Red Bluff.
My Hernandez drove recklessly, with willful and wanton disregard for public safety, according to the release. During the pursuit he swerved in and out of traffic, while driving at speeds of over 100 miles per hour.
Tehama County Sheriff’s Deputies deployed a tie spike strip on Interstate 5, near the northbound Antelope Blvd exit which effectively disabled Hernandez’s truck. He then veered off the East shoulder of the interstate just north of Red Bluff, on the Adobe Road off-ramp.
The truck drove through a barbed wire cattle fence and into an open field and ultimately crashed into a dry creek bed. Responding deputies and officers took Hernandez into custody.
During the arrest, a fire ignited underneath Hernandez’s truck, which deputies were able to extinguish before it grew out of control.
An investigation by Tehama County Sheriff’s Deputies revealed that prior to the pursuit, Hernandez entered the Rolling Hills Casino and approached the main cash station. He informed the casino staff that he had a gun and demanded entry into the cash cage. As the security personnel responded, Hernandez fled the grounds without gaining access to the cash cage.
No firearms were located in Hernandez’s possession or within his vehicle. Rolling Hills Casino did not sustain any monetary loss.
Hernandez was booked into the Tehama County jail for Attempted Robbery, Felony Reckless Evading and Driving Under the Influence. Bail has been set at $105,000.
- Attempted Robbery at Rolling Hills Casino
- Rolling Hills Casino Opens Animal Evac Shelter
- Glenn County Sheriff’s Office receives grant from Rolling Hills Casino
- Rolling Hills lobby is ready to eat
- Store owner attacked during attempted robbery
- Man Arrested in Oroville Attempted Bank Robbery
- Traffic stop leads to arrest in attempted cell phone robbery
- Corning man runs to police after attempted robbery
- Man Flees Chico Walgreens After Armed Robbery Attempt
- Two arrested for shooting near Colusa Casino