JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) - A bus has plunged from a hill while traveling on Indonesia's main island of Java, killing at least 27 people.
Local police chief Muhammad Joni says 16 other people were hospitalized with injuries, some in critical condition, from the accident, which occurred Saturday on a winding slope in Subang district of West Java province.
He says the vehicle's engine apparently lost power while going up a hill and rolled backward and hit a motorbike before falling into a grass field.
Television footage showed police, soldiers and medical personnel evacuating the victims from the upside-down bus, which was carrying more than 40 local tourists. The bus was headed for Tangerang, a satellite city just south of the capital, Jakarta, from West Java's Tangkuban Perahu, a popular mountainous resort.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- At least 27 killed in Indonesia bus crash
- Hong Kong bus crash kills 18 people
- Indonesia Accused of Mishandling Tsunami Warnings
- What You Need to Know: June 27
- What You Need to Know: August 27
- What You Need to Know: Sept. 27
- What You Need to Know: Nov. 27
- What You Need to Know: Dec. 27
- What you need to know: Feb. 27
- What you need to know: March 27