Hamilton City, Calif. -- School administrators hosted Assemblyman James Gallagher in Hamilton City early Friday afternoon.
The assemblyman toured several rural schools and learned about the much-needed state facility funding.
The school administrators discussed ways Gallagher could consider legislation that would ultimately help the schools qualify for state funding.
"Today we're going to speak with Assemblyman Gallagher about the issues of small school funding and the needs for improving our facilities," said Charles Tracy, Superintendent of Hamilton Unified School District.
Tracy said small schools are often unable to get in line for small state bond act money and modernization.
"The districts are coming together to ask Assemblyman Gallagher to help us with legislation to ease that red tape," said Tracy.
The school tour included Hamilton High School, Hamilton Elementary School and Capay Elementary School.
"Plan on doing a lot of listening and learning so I can go back and help inform my own policy I'm pushing for," said Gallagher.
Gallagher is pushing for his legislation AB-2667.
"We are looking at ways to increase school resource officers on campus and also how do we increase training for active shooter events or other types of security," said Gallagher.
The superintendent said it's been difficult to receive funding. In one instance, a gas line went out at one of the elementary schools.
"We had to bring in portable heating and find funding on our own to do that and had to submit for that emergency funding later and still have not received anything from the state as far as reimbursement," said Tracy.
Gallagher said there are small schools throughout California that really haven't gotten the resources that they need.
"There's opportunity every year to ensure we get critical funds to those districts," said Gallagher.
FOLLOW LAURA ENG ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
- Assemblyman James Gallagher Visits Rural Schools in Hamilton City
- Assemblyman Gallagher discusses Butte County housing needs
- Assemblyman Gallagher Explains Idea for Armed School Guards
- Housing bill battle heats up between Mayor Stone, Assemblyman Gallagher
- Assemblyman Gallagher to introduce Camp Fire housing bill at State Capitol
- James Gallagher on Recently Passed Dam Safety Bill
- James Gallagher Talks Dam Oversight and Water Tech. Research
- James Gallagher Pushes for Better Drug Disposal Plan
- Deputies find Hamilton City school threat not credible
- Chico Mayor opposes Butte County housing shortage bill, Assemblyman responds