Photo Gallery 1 Images
Yuba City, Calif. -- California lawmaker James Gallagher has made it his mission to improve safety for residents statewide with a host of new bills in the past year alone - including one geared toward protecting students.
Many of his proposals revolve around the Oroville Dam Spillway Crisis - but that's not all he's been working on recently.
"We've authored legislation to ensure that all of our school campuses are safe, that there's someone there protecting our kids - we saw the tragedy in Rancho Tehama ... Parkland .. We have to ask ourselves what more can we do to make sure these things don't happen again," said Gallagher.
Gallagher says, "We've passed a lot of gun laws but it doesn't seem to have stopped dangerous people from getting ahold of guns and carrying out these acts."
Gallagher points to how he'll never forget the Lindhurst High School shooting when he was growing up.
He says law enforcement responds as fast as they can, but it's time we have an armed trained person on campus at all time, a lot of schools already have them but many rural schools don't have anyone at all.
Gallagher says there are recent examples where an armed School resources Officer prevented the loss of life.
"In Connecticut ... It was less than a minute than an SRO stopped the shooter ... Some people will bring up how Parkland had SRO's and they didn't stop anything from happening but as a parent, I'd rather have someone there than no one," said Gallagher.
- Assemblyman Gallagher Explains Idea for Armed School Guards
- Assemblyman Gallagher discusses Butte County housing needs
- Assemblyman James Gallagher Visits Rural Schools in Hamilton City
- Housing bill battle heats up between Mayor Stone, Assemblyman Gallagher
- Assemblyman Gallagher announces $15 million plan to spur Chico housing
- Assemblyman Gallagher secures more funding for schools impacted by Camp Fire
- Assemblyman Gallagher to introduce Camp Fire housing bill at State Capitol
- Chico Mayor opposes Butte County housing shortage bill, Assemblyman responds
- Assemblyman Dahle wins state Senate seat in special election
- James Gallagher on Recently Passed Dam Safety Bill