BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. - The annual 49'er Faire and Pancake Breakfast was held in Butte Creek Canyon on June 2. Those who attended enjoyed pancakes next to the rubble of what was the historic Honey Run Covered Bridge.
More than 500 people came out to the Sunday morning breakfast with many being returning customers.
"I've been coming to this event since it started and I don't remember how long it [has] been but our whole community has really stepped up and are helping other people and helping different organizations and helping people get back on their feet," said one woman who attended the event.
This is the first year the event has been held without the bridge and Robert Catalano of the Honey Run Bridge Association shared why he felt it was important to do so.
"We wanted to have this to show people that we are gonna rebuild to inspire people here in the county," Catalano said. "If we can rebuild, they can rebuild too. They don't have to leave. This will be here, we'll return to normalcy. It'll be different but we will have normalcy that they can depend on."
Attendees said this year's event was bittersweet.
"You used to able to dine on the bridge with a limited view inside, now you can dine on the edge of the creek with an unlimited view of the creek, unfortunately, so it is good that they are still hosting the event," said Bill Reeves, an attendee.
Those in the community are doing everything they can to rebuild the historical bridge and at Sunday's event people were selling merchandise of the bridge and raffling off items with the money going towards the rebuilding of the bridge.
"It's nice to see people rise and support the occasion and the covered bridge, which is obviously historical," Reeves said.
The event raised $7,500 and if you are interested in donating, you can do so HERE.
- Annual pancake breakfast returns to Honey Run Covered Bridge site
- 53rd Annual Pancake Breakfast Held at Honey Run Covered Bridge
- Organizers Looking for Donations to Repair Honey Run Covered Bridge
- Community Raises $100,000 to Rebuild Honey Run Covered Bridge
- Honey Run Covered Bridge Association receives offer to rebuild
- Last Distribution Batch for Honey Run Covered Bridge Ornaments
- Couple donates last piece of Honey Run Covered Bridge
- Undersheriff Eric Magrini talks Pancake Breakfast
- Fourth of July Pancakes Breakfast & 5K
- Classic car club to honor burned cars, Honey Run Covered Bridge