ANDERSON, Calif. - One person is dead and a man is behind bars after a stolen car chase in Anderson.
Wednesday, Oct. 2 Anderson police officers saw a stolen black Honda Civic headed south of Highway 273.
The driver 28-year-old Derrick Gary Tope failed to stop when police tried to pull him over. Tope took off into the factory outlet's parking area. He then headed back to the highway, and as he got onto Interstate 5, he lost control and flipped into the brush near Rhonda road.
Three people were inside the car and all were taken to the hospital. One of the passengers died due to his injuries, 21-year-old Ethan George Purdy of Redding.
Tope was later interviewed by officers where he admitted to being in possession of the stolen vehicle, fleeing from officers with no regard for the public’s safety, and causing the death of the male passenger, officers said.
At this time Tope is booked at the Shasta County Jail for Homicide, Evading Officers with No Regard for Safety, False Imprisonment, Being in Possession of a Stolen Vehicle along with numerous other felony charges, officers said.
Anderson police stated this is an ongoing investigation.
- Stolen car police chase, one passenger dead
- Police capture suspected shoplifters in stolen car
- Chico police chase, arrest suspected car burglar
- 1 Dead in Butte Co. Chase with Stolen Vehicle on Honey Run Road
- Woman Tracks Down Stolen Car, Redding Police Arrest Suspect
- Chico Police arrest stolen car suspect wearing victim's shoes
- Chico Police chase and arrest suspected car thief
- Vehicle Burglary Suspects Flee Police in High-Speed Car Chase
- Stolen bear spray leads to stolen car, 3 arrested
- CHP fishes stolen car from Feather River