One person is dead after colliding their vehicle with an Amtrak passenger train in west Chico on Saturday.
The fatal accident happened at around 2:30 AM at the tracks on West Sacramento Avenue.
Chico Police received a call and arrived to find a badly damaged vehicle along the east side of the tracks. The driver was unresponsive and trapped inside. Police were able to remove the man from the car.
Eyewitnesses who say they were shocked by what they saw.
"I saw the car flipped and crushed like a can," said Amare Norman, a neighbor who lives just across the street from the incident.
Neighbors also tell Action News Now that they saw paramedics attempt CPR for what felt like quite some time.
The victim was taken to Enloe medical center where he was pronounced dead. None of the Amtrak train passengers or crew were injured.
An official police statement reads that when police arrived on the scene, they found the crossing guards were down, the lights were activated and the crossing bell was sounding.
An early investigation by police appears to show the driver of the vehicle tried to drive around the crossing guards just before the collision. Anyone with information is encouraged to contact Chico police.
- Amtrak Train Collides with Car, Killing One
- Identity Released of Man Killed by Amtrak Train in Chico
- High speed Amtrak train derails near Tacoma, Wash.
- Amtrak train evacuated after man locks himself in bathroom
- Amtrak ready to accommodate holiday travelers
- Investigators search for answers following devastating Wash. Amtrak crash that killed 3
- As California legalizes pot, laws collide at US checkpoints
- Woman Killed By Train in Chico
- Victim Identified in Amtrak Vs. Vehicle Collision in Dorris
- Car crash near I-5 kills 1 woman