Photo Gallery 8 Images
REDDING, Calif - The Americana Moden hotel is set to open in Redding Thursday, May 2 with a fresh new look.
But just around the corner on Market Street, there is still a reminder of the journey this business has taken to get here.
"The Americana has been here for years and years before that it's had what I would call a checkered history with the city," said city council member Michael Dacquisto.
To be exact, there were more than 1,000 calls to the Redding Police Department from January of 2012 to December of 2015 involving the establishment.
Dacquisto said those issues included vagrancy, drugs and potential prostitution.
Now two years later, the Americana Modern Hotel is coming back better than ever.
With a remodeled patio area, wood and metal features, and a new vibe with hopes of revitalizing downtown.
"Really the hotel speaks for itself. We hope that if you're from here and have friends and family coming into town instead of staying up on maybe Hilltop or more traditional hotel sites we now feel we have a really cool, hip, clean hotel downtown that you can come in park and walk to restaurants and coffee shops and enjoy," said hotel owner Brent Weaver.
The hotel is also starting out with new security features to thwart the bad reputation from coming back.
Weaver told Action News Now off camera that they'll have security overnight monitoring the area, 14 security cameras throughout the property and probably the most effective feature is closing off the allies that surround the building to prevent unwanted guests from entering.
The hotel will immediately begin accepting people and hopes to be fully available by May 15.
- Americana Modern Hotel opens in Redding
- Rockin' Americana Concert to Benefit KZFR
- District Attorney Files Lawsuit Against Redding Hotel
- Redding Police identify hotel shooting suspect
- A Royal Wedding Bridges The Atlantic, Opens Up A Modern Era
- Staff at Redding’s new Sheraton hotel prepare for grand opening
- Cannabis Business Opens in Redding
- Grocery Outlet opens in Redding
- Turtle Bay 'Sheraton Hotel' set to open soon
- New hotel in Chico will open next month