Yuba City, Calif.-- Steps are being taken to terminate a Yuba City High School teacher following an allegation of inappropriate conduct. Citing laws governing privacy, the school district will not release the teacher’s name.
Family of the alleged victim say it is physical education teacher Jim Whiteaker, who is also a Sutter County supervisor.
At this point, he has not been charged with a crime, he has not been fired from his teaching job, though he has been placed on leave.
During a special board meeting Tuesday, the Yuba City Unified School District said they have given direction to staff at the school to bring a statement of charges to terminate Whiteaker.
Some in the audience could be seen holding signs reading "Time's up," a nod to the Hollywood movement against sexual harassment.
The uncle of the alleged victim said that on January 16th, his 14-year-old niece playfully nudged her friend with her foot. At which point Whiteacker allegedly grabbed the girl's behind, telling her "you kick her, I touch you."
"My family will not sit quietly and allow another person to be abused by this man, no matter what his position within the community may be. This person should not be teaching children anymore,” he said.
Sutter County District Attorney Amanda Hopper felt there was a conflict of interest if she reviewed the report filed by law enforcement because of Whiteaker's position on the Sutter County Board of Supervisors.
The report was handed over to Yuba County District Attorney, Pat McGrath, who is reviewing the case.
There is no timeline on when McGrath will be finished reviewing the report, but if there is a criminal case, it will be reviewed by the state's attorney general.
- Allegations of inappropriate conduct by teacher at Yuba City High
- Student Sues Yuba City High Teacher, District
- Yuba City High School teacher placed on administrative leave
- School board considering firing teacher at Yuba City High School
- GOP nominee denies inappropriate sexual conduct with minors
- Stockton officer accused of inappropriate conduct with minor
- Yuba City Man Arrested for Alleged Sexual Assault
- Yuba City Officers Arrest Suspects Involved in Alleged Sword Fight
- Yuba County Election Results
- Yuba City facilities holiday closure schedule