PARADISE, Calif. - Emmy award winning actor Ed Asner brought his production "God Help Us!" to Paradise on Saturday night to help support Paradise residents impacted by the Camp Fire.
The Paradise Performing Arts Center was the venue. It was one of the two performing arts spaces that survived the Camp Fire. The other was the Theatre on the Ridge building on Neal Rd. The benefit was held to support the local community theatre.
Hundreds gathered Saturday at the Performing Arts Center to see the political comedy.
Judy Clemens from Theatre on the Ridge said that Asner's company reached out to them shortly after the fire.
Asner expalined that he saw a big article in the New York Times talking about the destruction that took place after the Camp Fire.
Asner said, "Thousands are still rebuilding in Paradise and small events that bring the community together make a world of a difference."
Some who attended the fundraiser said they enjoyed coming out to meet up people they have not seen since the fire. They explained that all their friends and neighbors were now spread out far and wide, and are no longer in Paradise. Some complained about losing touch, saying that because of the fire no one got to say goodbye.
The purpose of the play is to unite liberals and conservatives despite their differences, according to Asner.
He said he hopes his performance of the play will help the community unite as well.
Asner said, "I'm hoping the world keeps its eye on Paradise and its people and brings them back to the glory they oncce enjoyed."
- Actor Ed Asner performed in Paradise for Theatre on the Ridge benefit
- Ed Asner performance raises money for Theatre on the Ridge
- Radioland's return to Paradise by theatre on the Ridge
- Radioland's Return to Paradise at Theatre on the Ridge
- Paradise community chorus holiday performance
- Governor Newsom visits Paradise Ridge Elementary
- Paradise Ridge Chamber of Commerce hosts Paradise Business Forum
- Paradise Performing Arts Center concert series
- Mandolin Music Concert to Benefit Sojourner's House on the Ridge
- Benefit Planned for Sojourners House on the Ridge