NEW YORK (AP) - Joseph Jackson, the strong, fearsome patriarch of the musical Jackson family, has died, according to a person close to the family.
The person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the person was not allowed to discuss the topic publicly, told The Associated Press on Wednesday that he died but had no additional information. He was 89.
The stage dad of Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson and their talented siblings took his family from poverty in Gary, Indiana, and launched a musical dynasty.
Five of his boys - Michael, Jermaine, Marlon, Tito and Jackie - made the clan an instant sensation with the arrival of the Jackson 5 in 1969.
Over the following decades, millions would listen to recordings by the Jacksons, and Michael would become one of the most popular entertainers in history before his death in 2009.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Jackson family patriarch dies at 89
- Highway 89 Closed at Lake Almanor for Bridge Replacement Project
- Construction to cause traffic delays on State Route 89
- New gene editing technology could correct 89% of genetic defects
- Golden Globe-winner Katherine Helmond, known for 'Who's the Boss?', dead at 89
- Northern White Rhino Dies
- Retired Redding K9 Dies
- Family Solutions Hosting Event for Foster Families
- Your Amazon Alexa can sound just like Samuel L. Jackson
- Giving the Family Experience