BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. - The CAL FIRE Butte Unit has been putting out some fires caused by people who were attempting to be more fire safe.
Saturday Rick Carhart from CAL FIRE said he had some concerns about out of control burn piles.
One of these fires occurred on Friday at a Feather Falls home. The burn pile spread to a garage so CAL FIRE units headed up there to get the situation under control.
Carhart wants people in Butte County to know these things:
- There has to be someone present when the pile is burning
- You need to have a water source closely
- Make sure you have a tool you can use to put out any flames that start to spread
- Make sure there is at least ten feet of bare dirt around your burn pile
- Check with the Air Quality Management District to make sure it is a safe day to burn ((530) 332-9407
It is illegal to burn garbage/trash, furniture, dimensional lumber, household items, plastics and transported brush.
There are separate regulations for burn piles on lots that are under an acre in size.
CLICK HERE for the rules, regulations and answers to frequently asked questions about outdoor burning in Butte County from the Air Quality Management District.
CLICK HERE to visit the CAL FIRE Butte County Fire webpage.
CLICK HERE to visit the webpage for the Butte County Fire Safe Council.