SHASTA COUNTY, Calif. - You can't tell just by looking at the outside of the Shasta County Jail but there's a lot going on inside it.
Thursday, Action News Now took a walk through as crews worked on expanding the jail.
Shasta County Sheriff Tom Bosenko said construction started in August once they got the green light.
When it's finished, it will have more than 100 new beds.
"It’s desperately needed," Bosenko said. "It’s going to add 11 showers which will allow an additional 102 beds."
Those beds will be added through the use of bunk beds to the cells.
A look at some of the expansion work shows the changes in the rec areas that will now be divided into two with a wall down the middle to divide it in two.
Yet with all the work being done, Bosenko admits there is still a lot of work to be done.
"We hear the concerns of the community that's why we have been working on this diligently,” Bosenko said.
- A Look Inside the Shasta County Jail Project
- Shasta County Jail Expansion Project Complete
- Shasta County Authorities Open Formal Bidding on County Jail Project
- Shasta County Sheriff settles suit over jail conditions
- Shasta County could soon be getting desperately needed jail beds
- Shasta County Jail Expansion Expected to Fill Quickly
- Shasta County Looking to Make Space in Jail
- Sheriff's office says inmate died in Shasta County Jail
- Shasta County Jail inmate pronounced dead, Sheriff's Office says
- Shasta-Trinity National forest Conducts Fire Projects