UPDATE: 11:03 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 13 - The Shasta County Sheriff's Office has identified an 85-year-old woman who died in a traffic collision on Tuesday, Feb. 11.
Authorities said Ann May Schwartz, of Redding, suffered major injuries from a collision that occurred on Eureka Way near Whiskeytown Court.
Schwartz was later pronounced dead at the hospital by emergency personnel.
The case remains under investigation by the Redding Police Department.
REDDING, Calif. - A woman died in Redding Tuesday afternoon after a traffic collision that occurred in the area of Eureka Way and Whiskeytown Court.
Redding police said they received a call at approximately 2:15 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020, about the collision.
Officers said the driver of a white 2017 Buick was an 85-year-old woman who died from her injuries after she was taken to Mercy Medical Center. Her name is being withheld until her family is notified.
Another driver involved in the collision is 26-year-old Chelsea Kefalas of Redding. She was driving a 2017 Volkswagen. Police said she complained about pain experienced from the collision but did not go directly to a hospital.
Officers said airbags deployed in both the Buick and the Volkswagen. Both drivers were wearing seatbelts. Alcohol and drugs are not considered to be a factor in the fatal two-vehicle crash.
Officers said after getting driver and witness statements and studying the evidence, they determined that the deceased driver of the Buick caused the collision when she exited a private driveway on the north side of Eureka Way and pulled into traffic. When she entered Eureka Way she was struck by the driver of the Volkswagen, Kafalas, who was traveling westbound in the right-hand lane. Police said Kafalas was unable to avoid crashing into the Buick, causing major damage.
- 85-year-old woman dies after Eureka Way crash, identified
- Escaped inmate found in Eureka
- Eureka Mother Sentenced for Killing Daughter in DUI Crash
- Eureka Approves On-Site Cannabis Consumption
- Eureka man wanted for exposing himself to juveniles
- Woman Identified in Fatal Crash in Redding
- Authorities identify woman killed in Redding crash
- Fatal Crash Victim Identified
- Humboldt County man arrested, suspected of stabbing a dog and an 85-year-old man
- Motorcyclist who died in weekend Redding crash identified