LOS ANGELES (AP) - An 8-year-old girl says she was afraid she'd die but remained calm as a man grabbed her and held a butcher knife to her chest in the doorway of a Los Angeles store.
Natanyah Garcia tells KABC-TV she thought it was "the end of the world" when he grabbed her from behind and held the knife inches from her chest Friday evening at the Echo Park Walgreen's.
The girl says she remained calm, explaining: "if I was acting crazy, he will act crazy."
She tells KNBC-TV that she wasn't ready to die yet because she wanted to be a doctor.
Bystanders urged the man to drop the knife and run away. He finally did but was quickly arrested on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and possessing methamphetamine.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 8-year-old remains calm despite knife to her chest
- Monday: Calm Before the Storm
- 8-Year-Old Awarded for Saving Father's Life
- Father Calms Daughter During Intense Escape from Paradise
- UPDATE: Man Wielding Knife puts School on Lockdown
- Man Reportedly Chases Mother And Sister With Butcher Knife
- Redding Man Found Guilty in Attempted Knife Attack Case
- Danger in Happy Valley remains
- Enloe: 2 patients remain hospitalized, 3 released
- Flu remains high, new data shows hope