The Shasta County Arts Council in Redding has awarded $50,000 in micro-grants to help promote art-related projects in the city's recently-designated cultural district.
Thirty-three applicants put in for these micro-grants to fund a variety of creative projects including everything from an original web series, to children's theater to a selfie pop-up booth and more.
The Redding Fashion Alliance was one of the organizations awarded a micro-grant.
Co-executive director Robin Fator says they’ll receive $4,000 to organize a fashion show highlighting local fashion designers.
“We applied for a micro-grant from the Redding Cultural District so we could put together Redding Fashion Week in September,” Fator said. “And we're going to do a big fashion show fundraiser the weekend of September 22.”
And the Norcal Outreach Project was awarded $2,500 to put together an outdoor art event at the Sundial Bridge showcasing local LGBT artists.
Local artist and organizer Karlo Henry says he hopes to give emerging artists that may otherwise not have a place to show their art.
“Maybe there's not many places that they can show their work,” Henry said. “So this is how it fits in the cultural district idea that we have to promote artists and the art. And at the end of the day, there's no cultural art district without the artists.”
The micro-grants were funded by the McConnell Foundation of Redding.
Some top micro-grants awards include $4,500 to put on a performance of Shakespeare in the Park.
And a $3,500 grant awarded to the Redding Chamber of Commerce for a concert event.
Each of the projects will be showcased on the Redding Cultural District's website and Facebook page.
Be looking for updates as the projects unfold.
- $50K in grants awarded to kick start Redding’s cultural district
- Redding Rancheria awarded Shasta County with grant
- 50K Steelhead Trout released into Thermalito Afterbay
- Redding Rodeo Week Kicks off
- Shasta District Fair Kicks off Wednesday
- Haven Human Awarded Rachel Ray Foundation Grant
- Show and Shines kick off in Redding
- Kool April Nights Kicked off in Redding
- District Attorney Files Lawsuit Against Redding Hotel
- Redding Neighborhood Police Unit wins big award