BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. – The Butte County Sheriff’s Office identified five victims killed in a major collision early Saturday on Highway 99 near Gridley.
The Butte County Sheriff's Community Relations Coordinator, said the victims killed in the collision are:
- 61-year-old Inderpal Rajput, of Live Oak
- 18-year-old Noah Anderson-Burdick, of Yuba City
- 20-year-old Camille Bent, of Sierra Madre, CA
- 19-year-old Kira Jumper, of Redding
- 19-year-old John Wegner, of Redding area
The crash involved several big rigs and passenger vehicles. The cause of the crash, which happened just south of Hinamin Drive between Gridley and Biggs, was under investigation, although low visibility due to heavy fog in the area was a contributing factor, according to the CHP.
While it’s still unclear what caused such a massive crash, what is clear is that it wasn’t easy to see on the road. The National Weather Service says fog blanketed much of the valley overnight, reducing visibility to a quarter-mile.
The CHP is handling the crash investigation.