11:38p.m. Chico Police say a DUI driver ran a red light and caused a multi-vehicle crash. Police say the driver, 30-year-old Philip Wampler of Willows ran the red light at speeds between 40 and 50 mph.
In the end, 5 cars were involved and 3 drivers were transported to the hospital. Wampler’s condition improved as the night went on, however, drugs did appear to play a role in the cause of the collision.
The intersection was closed for two hours.
The Chico Police say a little after 5 p.m., a minivan ran a red light and led to a five-car crash off Vallombrosa Avenue and Mangrove in Chico.
Sergeant Todd Lefkowitz says a minivan caused this crash. The driver of the minivan was traveling west on Vallombrosa at a high speed and ran a red light. The minivan then hit two cars turning eastbound onto Mangrove. The impact totaled those cars. The minivan then went airborne and landed on its side.
Witnesses say the minivan appeared to be going at least 50 mph.
Lefkowitz says 3 of the 5 drivers went to the hospital. The condition of the driver of the minivan is unknown.
- UPDATE: DUI driver runs red light causing multi-car accident in Chico
- Alleged DUI Driver Overturns Car, Causes Property Damage in Redding
- Redding DUI Hit and Run
- Fatal Redding Car Accident
- Redding Man Arrested for DUI Causing Injury
- Suspected DUI driver arrested in Chico
- Suspected DUI driver rams LA patrol cars
- Suspected DUI driver involved in 2017 crash runs from Redding police
- Chico State student dies in car accident UPDATE
- DUI Driver Leaves Redding Traffic Sign Damaged: Police