UPDATE - Power has been restored to all customers. around 2 p.m.
Chico, Calif. -- PG&E crews are working to repair a downed power line in the of area of Garner Lane and Dusty Lane near Pleasant Valley Baptist Church in Chico. The outage intitally began at 5:15 AM with some 1, 451 customers affected.
For morning commuters the power outage is also causing some delays for traffic in the area of Highway 99 and Garner Lane. Anticipate some slow-downs.
PG&E reports the cause of the outage is due to a bird making contact with an overhead power line. Crews are on scene working to make repairs as quickly as possible.
As of 7:50 AM, power was restored to all but 400 customers from the area of Kiwi Lane to the end of Oak Ranch Lane, and the end of Augusta Lane to Kathy Lane.
A PG&E spokesperson say the estimated time before power is restored to the remaining customers is unknown. They also say when birds and or animals come into contact with electrical lines, animals commonly cause power outages. The utility company says it has retrofitted many utility poles, towers and power lines with animal safe equipment to reduce the risks of such contact.
The spokesperson reminds customers to utilize the 24-hour hotline number of 1.800.743.5000 for updated information about specific power outages.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
- Power Restored to all 400 Customers in north Chico
- UPDATED: PG&E customers' power has been restored near Orland
- Redding Electric Utility restores power to 7000 customers in Redding, 1000 left without power
- UPDATE: Over 2200 People without Power in Chico now Restored
- PG&E Investigates Power Outage in North Chico
- PG&E Restores Gas Service to Nearly All Paradise Customers
- PG&E Restores Power to Most Areas of Butte County
- PG&E Restores Power After Bright Flash South of Red Bluff
- Power May Still Be Turned Off in the North Valley for PG&E Customers
- Ide Adobe Restoration