Butte County-- District Attorney Mike Ramsey said a previously terminated California State Parks ranger was in Butte County Superior Court yesterday and was sentenced on a felony count of Offering False Evidence after she falsified evidence on a boating citation issued to her son last year on Lake Oroville.
Ramsey said 40-year-old Shalon Faye Cunningham, of Rocklin, allowed her underage son to drive a jet ski on the lake on June 6, 2017.
A State Park ranger stopped the 15-year-old boy and cited Cunningham for allowing an under-16-year-old to drive the jet ski without an adult on board – an infraction. During the stop, the boy provided a false birth date, which Cunningham also confirmed. The officer indicated if Cunningham could provide a birth certificate proving the boy was over 16, the citation would be dismissed.
Ramsey said about two weeks later, Cunningham forwarded to State Parks rangers a purported birth certificate for the boy showing him to have been 16 at the time of the alleged violation. Based on that document, State Parks rangers dismissed the citation issued to Cunningham. A subsequent investigation by State Parks determined the birth certificate presented by Cunningham was, in fact, a bogus forgery.
Ramsey said Butte County Superior Court Judge James Reilley sentenced Cunningham to three years felony probation with credit for one day she had already served in county jail. If Cunningham violates the terms of her probation, she faces three years in state prison.
- Former State Parks Ranger Sentenced
- California State Parks Rangers Graduate
- Park Ranger Safety Tips for Hitting the Parks this Summer
- Park Ranger Talks New Park Rules and Public Safety
- Covelo ranger district office closing
- Whiskeytown Park Offering Ranger-Guided Tours with Lots of Activities
- Rangers Urge: Follow Leash & Bike Rules at Bidwell Park
- Upper Bidwell Park Not in Flames by Camp Fire: Chico Park Ranger
- Almanor Ranger District seeking summer campground hosts
- Lassen National Forest Eagle Lake Ranger District temporarily closed for fuelwood cutting