Oroville, Calif.-- A miniature horse in Oroville named "Rocky," was brutally attacked by two neighborhood dogs Sunday night. Now Rocky's owner has a message: If you can't properly contain your dogs, don't have dogs.
Cameron Wise says Rocky is popular with kids in Oroville because of his gentle demeanor, and his tiny frame. Rocky is often used for photography with children.
Sunday night, Wise says he was driving up to his property when some good samaritans got his attention. They were throwing rocks at two dogs in Rocky's enclosure. One of the dogs had Rocky's limp body pinned to the ground by the throat.
Wise says he ran into his home, grabbed his gun from the safe, then ran outside and shot the dog. The other dog had already escaped. Rocky was bleeding profusely, and Wise and his wife were worried he wouldn't survive.
The SPCA came out to investigate. Action News Now spoke with the lead investigator Monday. That investigator said the dogs' owner admitted responsibility, and surrendered the surviving dog to the SPCA. That dog will be administered tests to determine if eventually, it will be adoptable. If not, it will be put down.
A veterinarian checked out Rocky on Monday and determined the dog's bite missed Rocky's juggular by milimeters. Rocky is not out of the woods yet, but his prognosis is good.
- Oroville Minature Horse Attacked By Two Dogs
- Popular Online Oroville Ranch Dog is Missing
- Horses Healing Humans
- Police shoot, kill dog that attacked woman
- TCSO: Off Duty Deputy-Involved Shooting Provoked by Dog Attack
- Lightning strikes Oroville home
- Juneteenth Celebrations in Oroville
- Lake Oroville Spillway Update
- Oroville Campaign Sign Theft
- Voices of Oroville: One year after Oroville Dam Spillway Crisis