A woman who has been missing for 23 years may soon be reunited with her family.
People say they've seen her in Chico, and now the community is on the lookout.
Claudia Wells has been missing since 1995 from Maryville, Illinois. She's 64 years old, a little more than 5 feet tall, weighs about 150 pounds, suffers from mental health issues, and has either a wheelchair or a walker.
23-years-ago on Christmas night was the last time Claudia’s daughter, Robin, saw her mom.
“She just wants to say ‘I love you, you matter, I miss you,’” said Robin’s friend Jacki Dirksmeyer, who is helping look for Claudia.
Jacki runs a nonprofit called Feed My Peeps, which serves the homeless in the community.
She moved to Oroville about 3 months ago, and when Robin heard that her mom may be in Chico, she asked for Jacki’s help.
Now, for about 3 weeks, Jacki and a few team members have been asking local homeless people in Chico if they've seen Claudia.
“The homeless population, they're tight; they call themselves The Village. Today we're over here talking to these guys, and they're like ‘oh we have high alert out on the village,’” she said.
Jacki says people have seen Claudia at the Torres shelter, the Jesus center, at McDonalds, and on the street in downtown Chico, which is why everyone is very hopeful that she will soon be found.
Robin says once someone positively identifies her mom, she will fly here from Minnesota and start looking for her as well.
- Woman missing for 23 years seen in Chico
- Missing Chico woman found dead
- Chico teen missing
- Chico liquor store collects 23 fake IDs in one week
- Chico Police Alert: Missing Juvenile
- Redding police find missing woman
- MISSING MAN FOUND: Chico Police Searching for Missing Man
- Police Searching for Missing Chico Man
- Missing Chico kayaker found in Feather River
- 23 Arrests Made Over the Weekend by 'Chico Street Crimes Unit'